Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reminders....10 Tips For Unlocking the Keys To Band Success


As I promised yesterday, here are some great reminders/tips from my surgeon's office:
  1. The band is not primarily about restriction
  2. The band is first about reduced appetite (hunger) and eating less.
  3. Always stop eating when you no longer feel physically hungry.  This may be long before you actually feel full.
  4. Measure foods, eat only the amount you measure, and then walk away.
  5. Do not rely on your stomach "feeling full" as your signal to stop eating.  This can easily lead to chronic overeating because the stomach "tells" the brain it's full about 20 minutes after it actually is.
  6. Never eat until you are "stuffed."
  7. Never eat more simply because you can.
  8. The key to successful weight loss is not how much you can eat, but how little you can eat to suppress appetite.
  9. Pay close attention to your bodies signals that you are done eating.  For some people this can be hiccups, a runny nose, watery eyes, a sigh, or a slight pain in the left shoulder.  What does you body tell you?
  10. The band is a tool, you are the user, the controller, of the tool.  Like any tool, it is only as effective as the person using it.  You can use is effectively (like hitting the hammer on the head of the nail) or ineffectively (hit the hammer all around the nail).  You control the tool, not the other way around  By being careful and attentive you too will become a Band master.

Source: Southern Oregon Bariatric Center


9 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you for posting such ground rules.
    Once I tried to explain no.1 and no.2 to my surgeon's other patients when we meet before a fill, but they shouted my down... Good luck for them - I believe in the rules above!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME POST! Very helpful and so true! I follow these rules and try to never detour from them.

    I love the picture too fricking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what time do you get up in the morning? I am dying here at you posted three hours ago :)

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems I can always use great reminders like this! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY good post... I need these reminders every so often. Especially when I'm off track. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great timing!--I needed some of those reminders right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still getting accostomed to my band (even though it's been like 4 months) and I had to laugh when I read this. I recently noticed that everytime I eat, my nose starts to run at some point. Such a goofy thing, but it definitely is a signal for me. I almost always get the hiccups after eating at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my surgeon's rules like these taped to my kitchen cabinet on the outside!

    ReplyDelete