Weigh-Ins are on MONDAYS - Updated July 3, 2017

Surgery Date: October 20, 2009:

Friday, August 5, 2011

The Big Scary Monster Called Maintenance

For me, the losing phase of my journey was easier than the maintaining phase.  Note: I said "easier" not "easy."

There is no done.

There is no finish line.

It's forever.

A really eye-opening statistic has been floating around in my head pretty much since September 2009.  I'm sure that you've heard this statistic too: that 95% of people who lose a significant amount of weight will gain it all back.

YIKES.

Check out this recent post from Karla, a non-banded blogger really hit home for me.  Read it.

Being at my goal weight and maintaining can be a completely scary place to be at times, especially since I'm about 7 months at goal now, not 7 years.  It's still new. Perhaps, one day it won't be so scary.  But I still wonder if the Weight-Gain Fairy will wave her magic wand over me while I sleep tonight and make me instantly 256lbs again.  I know a bandster who is 6+ years out and still has this fear.  Does it ever go away?

Anywhoozle, let's talk about goals and accountability:

I set a goal back in January to register with the National Weight Control Registry when I am 1 year into maintenance.  This will be in December of this year....4 months to go until that milestone.  I know I can do it.

Recently, I have decided on another accountability goal, this time something that will remind me each and every day to stay on track and focused. 

It's time for a sparkly.  Yep, a one year at maintenance ring. 

One of my new favorite websites is HERE.  I'm getting lots of great ideas as I think I will probably design my own ring.  There will be some engraving too.  I've got plenty of time to plan it out.  If you have any websites you can recommend to get ideas, please let me know.

9 comments:

  1. It's daunting. You're doing so great though. You're my inspiration. I hope you continue to blog. Your posts are helpful and inspiring.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in one way or another, that fear will always be there... I know that I am just starting as a bandster but I have lost and gained back plus more numerous times. I think a lot of is have. Maybe that nagging fear is a good thing in a way.... keeps it strong in your mind?

    You are truly an inspiration! and love the ring! Pandora also has some awesomely sparkly rings on their website :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite quotes "if you have ever been fat you will either be fat for the rest of your life or worry about being fat the rest of your life"

    I have that ring except in citrine!! My lovely boyfriend got it for me for Christmas, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-freaking-men, girl. My last attempt at weight loss was my most successful to date, and I barely hung on by the tips of my fingernails for 3 years at sort-of maintanance. And I was so successful at the loss part of it, I was TERRIFIED of mait. About 5 months before it was even going to be an issue, I was making it an issue. And when I reached my "goal", I immediatly [the next week] boomeranged up 5 pounds, and eventually hovered about 10-15 above my goal weight, until after my wedding, when I boomeranged back up20 pounds, and eventually, ended up where I was pre-surgery at 262. And that's why I got banded. Because I know I will have this issue forever, and now that I understand that it will never be done, I know I need a toold to keep me in check. The band is that tool for me. And I'm so excited for the possibilities, not terrified this time. Thank you for your blog - it's one of the ones I've read start to finish, and you are so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I had a weird moment yesterday. I didn't get a chance to do my pre-work workout. I had to be into work at 7am which is 20 mins sooner than my workout time. I seriously felt sorta crazy yesterday not having worked out like all my 50'ish lbs lost were going to come back. I went to Zumba last night though and that made me feel a bit better. I know it's irrational but it still was worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ring is a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a anniversary ring to celebrate one year at maintenance, I may totally steal the idea

    Thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too worry about regaining. Especially since I have already gained back some pounds, and I'm not even at goal!!!

    Anyway, so glad to hear that you did reach goal, I knew that you would, you are so much more focused than I am....

    And I love your Ring idea. A great way to remind yourself of your accomplishment, and not to gain it all back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did regain and am now having to begin again. I did not gain it all back but I gained 55 of it back and I could not agree with you more!

    You are a real inspiration to us all. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete